Apply for a Grant
Together we can transform our communities.
Innovia Foundation works closely with nonprofit organizations and others throughout the region to identify and respond to a wide range of community issues and opportunities. This might be as complex as collaborating with community leaders on a long-range plan for neighborhood preservation, or as basic as funding a program to provide shoes for children from low-income families.
In all cases, Innovia Foundation looks to fund solutions that will create measurable, positive change in our region.
Awards from Innovia Foundation’s competitive grant programs are determined in partnership with local volunteers from throughout the foundation’s service area. This locally-based advisory process ensures that grant opportunities address the changing needs of our communities.
- In order to be eligible, applicants must be a public charity with tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code; a federally recognized tribe; or a public entity such as a school district, municipality, or unincorporated group or association. In certain cases, grants can be awarded to non-501(c)(3) organizations for charitable purposes.
- In all cases, the applicant organization/program must have a clear charitable purpose.
- Applicants cannot have any delinquent reports for previous grants awarded through all Innovia Foundation’s grant programs.
- Some grant programs have specific restrictions. Be sure to read grant guidelines carefully to see if any restrictions apply.
- Innovia Foundation competitive grants are awarded to organizations providing services within the 20-county region served by the Foundation. (Eastern Washington Counties: Ferry, Stevens, Pend Oreille, Lincoln, Spokane, Adams, Whitman, Columbia, Garfield and Asotin. North Idaho Counties: Boundary, Bonner, Kootenai, Benewah, Latah, Nez Perce, Lewis, Clearwater, Shoshone and Idaho.)
- Please note that Innovia Foundation has multiple grant programs. Applying to/receiving grant funding from one Innovia Foundation grant program does not preclude your organization from to applying to any other Innovia Foundation grant program.
The Columbia County Children’s Fund provides support to organizations within Columbia County. Applications must address one of the following program areas: Educational enrichment and special needs programs, with preference given to elementary school-aged children. Guidance, counseling and therapy to children and their families. Medical and dental services and/or supplies (glasses, hearing aids, braces) for disadvantaged children. Grants awards are typically less than $4,000.
Application Dates: Applications for this program are typically accepted from April to July with awards announced in September. Grant awards are for a one-year period from October 1 to September 30 of the following year.
The Community Grant Program is comprised of more than 90 funds established by donors who have given Innovia Foundation the flexibility to make funding decisions that accommodate changing needs and capitalize on timely and compelling opportunities in our 20-county region. This program has one cycle per year and organizations are eligible to submit one application per cycle. The maximum award amount is $20,000, with most grants in the range of $2,500 – $15,000. Click here to access the guidelines.
2023 FUNDING THEME
Guided by input from local advisory groups, Innovia Foundation has identified a regionwide need for programs and activities that bring people together and build stronger connections across communities. While we are committed to funding projects across all our impact areas, we will aim to prioritize proposals that have potential to increase social connections and help communities develop more supportive, caring, inclusive, and lasting relationships among people and groups. Click here for a sample document of questions featured on this year’s application.
GRANT PROGRAM TIMELINE
Application Cycle Open: Thursday, January 5, 2023
Early Bird Deadline: Thursday, January 26, 2023
Application Cycle Close: Thursday, February 16, 2023
Announcement: Monday, May 22, 2023
Grant Period: June 1, 2023 – May 30, 2024
Questions? Contact Scott Ferguson, Associate Director of Grants at email@example.com or 509-624-2606.
The Equinox Foundation is partnering with Innovia Foundation to provide a grant program for the benefit of the communities in Bonner and Boundary counties of North Idaho. This family foundation was founded on the values of wisdom, integrity, and environmental stewardship. This program will consider applications from nonprofit organizations addressing a variety of program areas, including:
- Education and youth development
- Arts and culture
- Economic opportunity
- Health and wellbeing
- Quality of life
Grant amounts are typically between $5,000 and $30,000 and are provided for a one-year period.
Application Dates: Applications for this program will be accepted February 14, 2023 through April 18, 2023 with awards announced in July. Grant awards are for a one-year period from August 1, 2023 to July 31, 2024.
There is generally only 1 grant program open at a time at Innovia Foundation. Organizations may only apply once to each grant program for which they are eligible.
If you have additional questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Activities typically not eligible for Innovia Foundation grant funding include:
- Academic or scientific research
- Debt retirement, operating deficits or after-the-fact support
- Direct or grassroots lobbying
- Annual fund appeals and contributions to endowments
- Re-granting programs
- Litigious activities
In considering applications for funding from faith-based organizations we will apply the following criteria:
- The program or service to be funded must be open to all members of the community (not just members of the faith community applying for funding).
- In the course of providing programs or services, faith-based organizations cannot require clients to participate in or adopt any specific religious practice or belief.
Organizations cannot apply for grants from Innovia Foundation’s donor-advised funds.
Requests from locally based organizations are given preference over organizations whose center of operations and/or governance is located outside of our 20-county region. Should you choose to submit an application, you must specifically address how the requested funding will benefit Innovia Foundation service areas and how you will ensure that Innovia Foundation funds will not be used outside our service area.
Review the 2023 Community Grants Program Informational Webinar for more information.